In the web hosting business a dedicated server refers to the rental and exclusive use of a computer that includes a Web server, related software and connection to the internet that is housed in the web hosting company’s premises. A dedicated server is needed for a website that has considerable online presence and an abundance of traffic. The server can be configured and operated remotely from the client company. The use of dedicated server saves the client router, internet connection, security system and network administration costs. Many web hosts allow the client to select the components used in the server and the choice of operating system is also left to the owner.
In web hosting business a dedicated server simply denotes a rental service. The user rents the server, software and an internet connection from a Web host. A dedicated server located in a data centre is devoted to a single web hosting account unlike shared hosting where a client has to share accounts with hundreds others. The dedicated hosting option allows you the ability to maintain a large website while not having to be concerned about employing the staff to support it.
Types of dedicated servers
A dedicated server can be of the following two types:
1. Managed Dedicated Server – Here the web host provides, maintains and monitors dedicated servers, operating system and support and the client provides the data. The client doesn’t need to have system administration resources as the host takes care of the server or any other technical difficulties that might arise. It offers the medium and large business owners fast, powerful, reliable and professionally maintained web presence.
2. Unmanaged Dedicated Server – In this case the server is operated, maintained and managed by the client. The web host only provides storage space, physical security and the negotiated bandwidth. The company needs to have a team of knowledgeable competent experts to tackle any technical problems that might crop up. But at times the web hosts provide technical consultancy at a nominal fee.
Need for dedicated servers
A dedicated server is an expensive proposition and it is suitable for the following:
• Large companies with a strong capital base
• Companies having a huge online presence
• Companies having a large web site
• Companies having a lot of traffic
• Companies that engage in e-commerce through website
Advantages of a dedicated server
Dedicated servers have the following advantages:
• Dedicated servers provide higher reliability, increased performance, greater security and exclusive use of the server, system and network resources to the client.
• The sites perform better as in case of a dedicated server the client has the exclusive server devoted solely to him. There is no sharing involved which adds to the performance of the system.
• It helps the client in cost saving as the client doesn’t need to purchase or maintain the equipments.
• The client doesn’t need to spend on a technical team. It is the responsibility of the web host that all technical difficulties are taken care of by him.
• The web host provider guarantees spare parts/ ability to procure spare parts at a very short notice to cover up common problems related to server.
Disadvantages of a dedicated server
The following are the disadvantages of a dedicated server:
• Dedicated servers are very expensive. They are not easily affordable. The companies opting for a dedicated server needs to have a large capital base.
Middle level companies cannot even meet the expense of a dedicated server.
• The server is the property of the service provider. The only thing that the company owns is the data.
• The web hosts charge exorbitantly high fees from the clients. At times they charge extra for consultancy charges in case of technical knowledge required by the client.
• Lastly changing the web host becomes impossible; even if you are not satisfied with their services you are forced to continue with them.
In choosing a web host provider for a dedicated server a client has to be very cautious as changing over a web host is not an easy task. Website establishes an online identity of the company and the services provided through websites goes a long way in promoting the brand name of the company which has a positive impact on the sales and revenue generation of the company.